lauantai 2. joulukuuta 2017

Part 3 - Ear Candy

Gatefold sleeve upright; easier to perceive the cover art.

I actually fell in love with music again. I had numbed myself by listening to music that different medias were overhyping and overplaying. I had almost forgotten how to find music on my own. In the end I started to resent safe playlists and hit songs all the radio stations were playing. I pretty much listened to stations where there was no music, just talking. Pretty rough for a guy who used to love music.

With the help of vinyl I relearned to enjoy all that ear candy that remain outside mass media. All of a sudden my mind was filled with feel good songs, a virtuoso musical performances, killer uptempo tracks, lingering art rock numbers, and mind puzzling sound collages. The Real Deal!


Pink Floyd, Meddle, Gatefold, 3rd UK Pressing, 1971


You seem to appreciate the recording more when you get the physical copy of it. You also tend to focus more on listening when you listen to the record from top to bottom, rather than skipping to the next song after the first chorus. These days I sit comfortably on my recliner and let the soothing airwaves kiss my ears. And when I want to take a mini holidayafter a hard day at work, I put on my high-quality Sennheisers and enjoy like there was no tomorrow. I just concentrate on the music, feelings and visions I get from it. Bestness!



Roger Waters, Nick Mason, Dave Gilmour and Rick Wright


The Perfect example of this kind of mini holiday is Pink Floyds Meddle album. Especially the B side which has only one song on it. The best song in the world; Echoes. 23 minutes and 32 seconds of incomprehensibly majestic body of music that you never want to end. A song you never get tired of. Pure genius.

While listening to the song I dive to the deepest points of Marianas Trench, where the pressure is crushing and darkness total. The way the band slowly lifts the listener from this desolate abyss is dazzling. Its such a great moment when you finally rise to the surface. For the rest of the song you can feel the relief and sense the freedom.




Original Text by Veli Palevaara
Translated by Tomi Julkunen

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti